At the office of Modern Day Smiles, it is our priority to help our patients achieve a perfect and healthy smile. We have a number of procedures available to help you protect your pearly whites and avoid unwanted oral health diseases. One of these treatments is dental sealants.
Dental sealants are a thin, transparent coating that adheres to the chewing surfaces of your back teeth. They are usually made of plastic and offer enhanced protection to your teeth against cavities and bacteria. In addition to a proper oral care regime comprising of brushing twice a day, flossing once a day and visiting our office at least two times a year, sealants have been known to greatly minimize the risk of tooth decay in the back teeth.
How are sealants applied?
- Cleaning the teeth to be sealed: The tooth surfaces are cleaned to remove plaque and any other deposits.
- Conditioning the tooth surface: In this step, we will apply an etching agent on the biting surface of the tooth. This prepares the surface of the tooth and helps the sealant bond properly.
- Applying the sealant: Next, we will apply the liquid sealant material into the irregularities of the tooth surface while the tooth is dry. This is normally done with the help of a brush or by use of a small syringe.
- Curing the sealant: The liquid sealant is set and dried properly using a special blue dental curing light.
- Evaluating the sealant: We will check if all the grooves have been filled in successfully and if your bite is proper.
Sealants are most commonly used for children and teens but are also effective for adults who at high risk of decay. To learn more, call us at (813) 296-2366. Our office is conveniently located at 7002 Sheldon Road, Tampa, FL 33615